General Questions

Where are PID's District boundaries?

Generally, PID's boundaries are the same as the Town of Paradise.

Does PID service the Magalia or Oroville Area?

Paradise Irrigation only serves property within the District boundaries. Contact Del Oro Water Company for service in Magalia, Paradise Pines and the Lime Saddle areas. Oroville is served by South Feather Water and Power District and California Water Service.

Who do I contact about a water leak?

Leaks in the street and on District mains are repaired by District personnel. Leaks on the customer side of the meter must be repaired by the customer. If unsure who's responsibility the leak is, call us!

Who should I contact before digging around water mains?

Before any excavation, contact USA (Underground Service Alert) at 1-800-642-2444 for locating all utilities.

What is PID's connection with the Town Of Paradise?

PID and the Town of Paradise are two separate agencies, each governed by an elected board/council. The agencies work together in many areas including planning, fire protection, and emergency response.

Is it PID's responsibility for repairing and maintaining Paradise roads?

PID is responsible for repairing public and private road and drainage facilities that are affected from construction and maintenance activities by the District. Questions regarding these activities should be directed to PID. Questions regarding general road conditions should be directed to Town of Paradise Public Works Department.

Does PID decide where fire hydrants are placed and which are upgraded?

No. Fire hydrant locations and priorities are determined by the Paradise Fire Department (PFD). PID and Town of Paradise (TOP) have a cooperative agreement to install and maintain hydrants. Hydrants are installed by PID using PFD funding ($2 fee is collected by PID for PFD) or private landowners.

Thank you

Billing Questions

How do I pay my bill?

Payments may be brought in or mailed to our office at 6332 Clark Road in Paradise, Monday through Friday, from 9am - 4 p.m. Currently, we accept credit card payments by telephone and in person for a $3.00 fee. Payments made ONLINE ARE FREE. The District also offers Automatic Payment free of charge.

Can you explain my bill?

Almost all water utilities, whether they are public agencies like us, or private water companies, have two components of their water bill. First, there is a fixed monthly charge known as a service charge or readiness to serve charge. These charges generally cover a water agency's fixed costs that have little to do with the amount of water used. In our case, almost half of our annual budget is spent on debt service (the payments made to pay for the construction of our treatment plant and other major facilities), and the labor, equipment and materials to pay for our pipeline replacement program. Our monthly service charge is above average for water agencies in California, but our water charge is below average. The reason behind this rate structure is that the District requires large fixed asset investments to deliver water to our customers. Most of these assets were built with borrowed funds that require debt payments over a 20 to 30 year period. Therefore the District must structure there rates in fashion that mirrors their fixed costs (service charge) and their variable cost (consumption charge). The differences between Paradise Irrigation Districts rate structure and other California water agencies is that there variable cost exceed their fixed cost therefore they must structure their rates accordingly. Their variable cost include electricity for pumping water out of a well, or the cost of purchasing whole sale water from the State of California.

When is my payment due?

Payments are due when you receive our bill, however, penalties will not be charged for current amounts if we receive payment by the due date on your bill.

How is my water usage rate figured?

Your meter is read every month. The meter readings indicate how much water has gone through the meter since the last time it was read. One Unit of water equals 100 cubic feet (748 gallons). See Rates for more information.

How do I cancel my account with PID?

Because PID bills directly to the owner of a property, a water service is never cancelled unless there is a transfer of ownership or the owner requests the meter be permanently removed. If a local title company is used, the transfer is done automatically. However, in the case where a private transfer has occurred, or you are using a title company outside of Paradise, we will require a copy of the recorded document naming the current owner. If you are going through a foreclosure, the District will require the name of the financial institute foreclosing, and the foreclosure document.

How can my tenant have the water put in his/her name?

PID does not bill tenants. However, upon the request of the owner we will send anyone you wish, a duplicate bill, with a service charge of $1.00 per duplicate bill. The owner will be required to sign an agreement allowing us to do so.

Can a property manager make decisions regarding my water service?

In the case where an owner of a property is contracted with a property manager, there must also be a signed agreement made with PID authorizing the manager to make water decisions. Please contact the District office for the contract agreement.

What can I do to cancel water service?

Unless a meter is permanently removed, water service is subject to a readiness-to-serve fee. The fee for an unused and sealed meter is half the regular monthly service charge and a $20.00 fee to seal or unseal the meter. Only the owner of the property can request that the meter be sealed. Contact the District office to discuss options for permanently discontinuing service.

Who can authorize changes in my water service?

If you wish to have another person authorize changes in your water service, we will require a signed agreement from you the owner, and the person named to authorize any arrangements made. If you are a person caring for a loved one, and in possession of a power of attorney document, you may bring the documentation to the District office, and we will change our records accordingly.

How do I change the name on my water account?

Your account name must match the name recorded with Butte County as the owner of the property. If you have recently changed your name, or have named another person as a joint tenant, the District will change its records when a copy of the recorded document showing the change is brought to the District office.

What is the service period I am being billed for?

The service period your bill reflects, is the one-month billing period ending on the first of each month. Your service period is located at the top of your bill.

How do I open a new account?

If you have recently purchased a home, AND went through a local title company, you may already have an account with PID. Please contact the District office if you would like to verify that you have an open account with us.

Thank you

Meter Questions

How do I read my meter?

Your meter is read like the odometer of a car. The numbers to the left of the decimal point indicate how many units of water has gone through the meter since it was manufactured. Please see Meter Shop for a more detailed description.

When do you read my meter?

Meter reads are extracted from the automated metering system on the first of each month.

How do I order a new meter?

New meters can be ordered through the Paradise Irrigation District Office. Payment in full and a signature by the property owner is required. Most meters can be installed easily, however, parcels of land that do not lie next to a water main, are subject to board approval.

How do I remove a meter from my property?

Meters can only be removed by a PID employee. Meters are removed permanently, and are subject to standard pricing if the owner of the parcel wishes to reinstall a meter. An option to permanently removing your meter, is to put it in a sealed status. Sealed meters are charged 20.60 bi-monthly, as they are still subject to District maintenance.

What is meter tampering?

Meter tampering is any action to the meter unauthorized by PID. This includes; breaking a seal, removing a meter, hooking up to a meter illegally, or any other action performed to change a meter's reading, or functionality. All cases of meter tampering are subject to a meter tampering penalty.

Is my meter reading ever estimated?

Meter readings are rarely, if ever estimated. Your bill will indicate an estimated read if this were ever the case.

Where is my meter located?

Generally, meters are located near the edge or outside of your property lines. They are placed in the ground encased in either a cement, or green plastic box. If you cannot locate your meter, call the District office where a customer service representative, can assist you in finding it.

What do I do if my meter has been tampered with or broken?

If you suspect your meter has been tampered with or broken, please contact the District office as soon as possible in order to have the damage assessed, and repaired as needed.

How does PID bill multiple units on a single meter?

In the case where a meter serves more than one residential or business unit (dwelling) , the property is charged per dwelling served. This is referred to as EDU Equivalent Dwelling Unit.

Thank you


Automated Meter Reading

Automated Water Meter Reading Project

The Paradise Irrigation District (PID) has contracted with Chevron Energy Solutions to replace water meters throughout the District. The Project will replace 7,500 of the District’s 10,500 meters and install an automated meter reading radio on all meters. This Project is an important part of upgrading our water system. The Automated Meter Reading (AMR) system provides for faster, more efficient reading and eliminates the possibility of misreads and transposed numbers. The AMR will allow us to determine precisely how much water is lost annually to leakage. It will provide us the ability to notify customers of leaks on their system quickly. PID is a nonprofit local government and this project will ensure all customers are paying for the water they consume. Currently, some of our meters are not measuring all of the flow through the meters. These customers will soon be required to pay their fair share to operate and maintain our water delivery system. The California Legislature has mandated that water systems must reduce usage by 20% by the year 2020. If PID does not work toward that goal, we may become ineligible for future State Grant Funds. In the past several years PID has obtained $3.35 million dollars of grant funds to improve our system. The AMR system will help customers identify leaks sooner, resulting in less lost water and less water usage.

Why is PID replacing the water meters?

PID is replacing meters that are older than 10 years when our treatment plant was brought online to provide cleaner water to the community. As water meters age, they measure water flow less accurately. This gradual wear and tear may allow water to pass through the meter without measuring all of the flow. Water delivered before the treatment plant was constructed contained dirt and sand that accelerated the wear and tear.

Will my water bill increase?

The AMR Project will not increase your rates. Some customers will pay for additional consumption because their old meter was not reading accurately. The AMR Project will allow the District to move to a monthly billing system which is anticipated to ease the burden of customers having to pay the cost to cover two months of service charges and consumption in one bill.

What are the benefits to me for the new AMR system?

The new AMR system will help identify leaks on the customer’s side by evaluating the usage in the early morning hours. We expect to be able to notify customers of potential leaks in their systems in three days. Currently a customer could have a leak for 60 days or longer before we could inform them of their potential leak. Finding leaks earlier helps save our water supply and save the customer from paying unnecessary water consumption charges.

When will the AMR Project begin and how long will it take?

The AMR Project is scheduled to begin in April 2010 and is expected to take six months.

Do I need to be home during the replacement of the meter?

No. The PID meters are in customer’s yards, typically on the street in front of your home. The replacement contractor will not need anyone present and there will be no reason for workers to enter your home.

Will my water be shut off during the replacement and if so, how long?

Yes. The average household will take about 10 minutes to have the meter installed. The work will occur between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30 pm.

What if I am in a mobile home park or apartment?

The notification will be the same, but the amount of time the water needs to be off will likely be more than the 10 minutes for regular households. The contractor will work with the manager or owner to minimize the impacts.

Will you notify me when my meter will be replaced?

The customers will be notified at least 24 hours in advance of the shutoff with a notice placed on their door.

Can I use water during the day of the shutoff?

Yes. The installer will check to see if water is running to the property by checking the meter for usage. If the water is being used, they will skip your meter and come back later in the day or will knock on your door to see if the water can be turned off.

How does the AMR system work?

The meters have a radio device that send their information to the neighboring meter and the information is transferred from meter to meter until it reaches a central collection location. The central collection location transfers the data to a computer that delivers the readings to the PID.

What if I have a problem after the contractor changes my meter?

The notice hung on your door will provide phone numbers to contact in the event there is a problem with the installation.

What will the new meter cost me?

There is no charge to the customer for the replacement of the meter.

Who will replace my water meter?

Chevron Energy Solutions has contracted with Pacific Meter Services, Inc. to replace the meters. Their contact information will be provided in the notification hung on your door and available on the PID website at when the work has begun.

Thank you


Board of Directors


How long has PID been headed by an active board?

At a meeting held March 20, 1916 the Butte County Board of Supervisors canvassed votes cast at an election held March 7, 1916 regarding formation of the Paradise Irrigation District and election of Directors for each of the five Divisions. The Board of Supervisors adopted a resolution forming the Paradise Irrigation District, setting the boundaries of the District and each Division of the District, and naming the Director of each Division.

How often are new Board members elected?

Board members are elected to a four year term. The elections for each division are staggered and elections are held every two years.

Who can run for a position on the Board?

Candidates for election to a Division must be a voter and resident of that Division at the time of filing for election, and must be a resident of that Division during the entire term. Persons may file for candidacy at the Butte County Elections Office, 155 Nelson Avenue, Oroville, California, during a 25-day period from the 113th through the 88th day prior to the November General Election, (which is approximately mid-July to early August).

How do I find out who my representative is?

A map of the District showing Division and a listing of Board member in the Board Section of our website.

How do I contact my Board member?

Board member's Division and telephone numbers can be found in the Board Section of our website.

When are Board meetings?

Regular Board meetings are held on the third Wednesday's of the month at 6:30 p.m. Occasionally meetings are rescheduled. Special meetings may be called with 24 hours notice. Agendas of our Board meetings are posted approximately three days before the meetings, except in the case of Special Meetings, on the "Board Activities" page.

Can citizens attend board meetings?

All meetings of the Board of Directors are open to the public and participation is encouraged.

What kinds of decisions do the board members make?

The Board of Directors sets the policy of the District. They are charged with approving the budget and making financial decisions with regard to rates, charges, fees, debt and investments.


Thank you

Water Quality

How safe is PID water to drink?

The water PID serves its customers meets the highest standards available. Source water is developed and stored in two reservoirs located in the Sierra Nevada foothills. The quality of this reservoir water is excellent as the District limits the type of recreational activities at each reservoir. The District operates a 22.8 million gallon a day, state of the art treatment plant. Water quality is monitored continuously from the time it enters the reservoir until it flows from the customers tap. PID has one groundwater well that provides a drought and emergency supply for the District.

Does PID water meet state standards?

The water served to all customers of the Paradise Irrigation District meets or exceeds all State of California water quality standards. For detailed information regarding the standards please view the current Annual Water Quality Report.

Does PID water contain fluoride?

No, the District has never treated its water with Fluoride. The California Department of Health Services requires systems having over 10,000 service connections to provide Fluoridation as a part of their treatment, if funding is available. We exceed the10,000 service connections and have provided the required documentation to the Department of Health Services.

Why does PID put chlorine in the water?

Chlorine has been used to disinfect many water supplies throughout the United States since the early 1900's. Chlorine not only destroys many disease causing organisms prior to filtration but it also provides protection against contamination throughout the distribution system by maintaining an active residual.

How often does PID test the water?

The District tests the water for more than a hundred different constituents. Testing frequency varies for different substances. Turbidity at the treatment plant is monitored continuously, while radioactivity is tested only once every 4 years. Bacteriological testing is conducted weekly and consists of 40 samples per month. All tests are regulated and monitored by the California Department of Health Services. For detailed test information please view the Annual Water Quality Report.

What is Cryptosporidiosis, and can I get it from PID water?

Cryptosporidiosis is a disease of the intestinal tract caused by the parasite Cryptosporidium parvum. The disease can be spread by: drinking contaminated water; swallowing water while swimming; contact with the stool of an infected animal or person; eating contaminated undercooked foods; and hand-to-mouth transfer from contaminated surfaces. Symptoms include: watery diarrhea, headache, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, low-grade fever, or no symptoms at all. These symptoms may lead to weight loss and dehydration. There is no specific treatment for Cryptosporidiosis, however, for people with a normal immune system the disease is short term. The District's water treatment plant was designed to remove and inactivate cysts such as the Cryptosporidium. In addition to plant design, operational procedures provide the highest quality water obtainable. In 1998 the District received an award from the California Department of Health Services for participation in the state sponsored crypto-action plan. This plan requires filtered water turbidity levels of .10 ntu or less, thus providing protection against water born Cryptosporidiosis outbreaks. The District's annual filtered water turbidity is .030 ntu.

What is Giardia, and can I get it from PID water?

Giardiasis is an intestinal disease caused by Giardia lamblia and related organisms. The parasites are invisible to the naked eye, and not uncommon to dogs. The disease can be spread by: drinking contaminated water; swallowing water while swimming; contact with the stool of an infected animal or person; eating contaminated undercooked foods; and hand-to-mouth transfer from contaminated surfaces. Symptoms may include: chronic diarrhea, abdominal cramps, bloating, fatigue, and loss of weight. Treatment by a physician is necessary to kill the organism. It will not go away on its own. The same safeguards and procedures at the water treatment plant are in place to protect against Giardia as well as other pathogens.

How often does PID flush its water lines?

The District conducts an annual flushing program of the water mains and storage tanks, generally this procedure takes approximately 3 weeks to completion.

Why is it necessary to flush District mains?

Water mains should be flushed annually to remove sediment and prevent unwanted slime growth in dead end mains. Flushing programs also provide an opportunity to test for fire flows throughout the distribution system.

Who do I contact if I have a taste or odor problem?

The District should be informed of all water quality problems. District personnel are trained and certified to handle water quality complaints. It is the District's policy to respond to and log all water quality related complaints immediately. We can be contacted at (530)877-4971.

Who do I call to have my water tested for lead or other substance?

Contact the District. We may be able to share information regarding sample results in your area. If additional testing is desired the District can provide a list of laboratories capable of performing the specific test requested.

Would the public be notified if PID water was found to be unsafe?

The District is required by law to treat, test, monitor, and deliver safe potable water to all its customers. If at any time the water supply is found to be non-potable, the District must notify the California Department of Health Services Office of Drinking Water and its customers.

Where does PID get its water?

The PID owns and operates two impoundment reservoirs, Paradise Lake and Magalia Reservoir. These reservoirs rely on rainfall to fill each year. Total combined capacity is 12,293 acre feet. The District also operates an emergency ground water source that produces 450 GPM.

What is MTBE?

Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE) is a chemical that is added to gasoline to reduce airborne pollutants in automobile exhaust. Unfortunately, significant amounts of MTBE have appeared in water supplies across the nation. Recent California State legislation calls for a total ban of MTBE as a gasoline additive by 2001.

Does PID test for MTBE?

Yes. The District has tested for MTBE. Test results show none detected. See Annual Water Quality Report.

Thank you


Paradise Lake


Who manages Paradise Lake?

Paradise Lake is operated by PID. The decisions made are in the best interest of the residents of Paradise, as this is a main source of drinking water.

Is recreation at Paradise Lake subject to state law?

Yes. All fishing laws and limits will be the same as governed by the Fish and Game laws of the State of California.

What types of boats are allowed on the lake?

Only cartop battery powered boats, canoes, and approved kayaks and inflatable boats or personal pontoon boats are allowed.

Where do I purchase a recreation or boating permit?

Daily parking as well as boating permits can be purchased at the lake. Envelopes and a drop slots are available on site. Annual parking permits may be purchased from Lake Patrol or at the District office located at 6332 Clark Rd in Paradise. For more information please see Lake Regulations.

What is Save-a-can-buy-a-fish?

Save a can buy a fish is a program that helps buy fish to be planted in Paradise Lake. Receptacle bins can be found at the Lake. All money goes to buying trout for the lake. Recyclable products may be dropped off at Paradise Lake and Northern Recycling and Waste Service on American Way.

Does PID ever stock the lake?

Yes! PID stocks Paradise Lake, throughout the year. You may call the District office for more information.

When is the lake open?

Paradise Lake is open almost year-round. The lake is closed every Wednesday. See our website at for more information on closures.

How do I contact the Lake Patrolmen?

The Lake Patrol Personnel can be found patrolling the lake grounds, or at the lake office near the picnic area Monday-Friday 8-9 am 11/1-05/31 Monday-Friday 1-2 pm 6/01-11/31 If you cannot find a patrol person to assist you, they can be reached at (530) 873-1040

What kinds of fish are in Paradise Lake?

Paradise Lake hosts large and small mouth bass, perch, brown and German trout, catfish, bluegill, and more.

Are live minnows allowed in the lake?

No live-bait or stink-bait of any kind are permitted at the lake.

Who needs a parking permit?

Parking permits must be purchases by every vehicle operator who is parking his/her vehicle at the lake for the purpose of lake recreation. Boating and Picnic permits are sold separately.


Thank you


Pressure Questions

How can I test for water pressure in my home?

Household pressure can easily be tested with a pressure gauge. You can purchase a pressure gauge at most hardware stores. You can also call the District office and arrange for someone to come out and test your water pressure.

What is a pressure regulator?

A pressure regulator is a mechanical valve which reduces high water pressure to lower pressure. Most pressure regulators are located directly outside your home in order to control the amount of pressure you have in your home.

Why is a pressure regulator necessary?

In many areas of the District, the mainline pressure (80-150 psi--pounds per square inch) is too high for the plumbing within the residence. The pressure regulator will reduce the pressure to a range of 50-60 psi which is adequate for most homes.

Will PID adjust or replace my pressure regulator?

No. A plumber should be called for the service or the homeowner can perform this task if they have the knowledge or skill.

Who do I need to contact if my pressure is too high or too low?

If you have any question about your water pressure, please contact the District office and request a pressure check. District personnel will check the pressure and advise the customer of any appropriate action.

What is the ideal pressure for my home?

50-60 psi is adequate and safe for most indoor plumbing.

Is the pressure outside my home, the same as inside my home?

No. In most areas, main pressure can be higher than what is considered safe and normal for inside the residence.

What are some common causes for low pressure?

A defective pressure regulator Customer's location is in a low pressure zone Restricted home filters Restricted shower heads and faucet aerators

What are some common causes for high pressure?

A defective pressure regulator Customer's location in a high pressure zone Thermal expansion due to the water heater heating the water

How do I find out if my sprinkler system will be operational with the amount of pressure in my area?

If a new system is going in, District personnel can take a pressure check, which is needed in the sizing formula. If it is an old system, a landscaping company or a sprinkler supply outlet may be able to help.

What can I do to resolve my pressure problem?

Some problems can be taken care of by the homeowner, If unable or in doubt, call a plumber.

What does low pressure have to do with my fire protection?

Some areas of the District have inadequate pressure and/or mainline size for fire protection. Adequate fire flows are determined by the fire department.

What are my alternatives for adequate fire protection?

Indoor sprinkler system A storage tank for added reserve contact the fire department for options or requirements

Thank you


Leak Questions


How do I test for leaks?

Knowing that all your water is off, check the meter for movement, if the red triangle on the left hand side is moving freely, this is an indication that you have a leak. If your meter doesn't have a triangle (tattle tail) you will have to perform a water audit. Take a reading of your water meter. Note the sweep hand and the last couple of numbers on the right hand side. One sweep = 7.5 gallons. Wait an hour, making sure no one uses any water. Check it again, if the reading has changed, you have at least one leak. Investigate! Look for wet spots, dripping faucets, running toilets, etc.

How do I know how much water has been lost because of a leak?

Take a read off your meter and contact the office and they will work with you on figuring out how much you may have lost. Use our drip calculator to estimate your water usage.

Will PID repair my leak?

The property owner is responsible for repair and maintenance of their own water lines. PID is responsible for water lines up to the meter. Unless the leak is at the connection or valve on the meter, the owner will have to repair or hire a licensed plumber to do so.

Will PID locate my underground leak?

Contact the office, and depending on the the meter shop's schedule, they will try to assist you in helping locate your leak.

Will PID compensate me for my water lost because of a leak?

Customers are responsible for water used on their property, even in the case of a leak. We advise you to contact our office so that we can document your leak, and offer advice.  You may also submit an appeal form in March if you feel that the leak has placed you in a higher monthly service charge. Read more:  icon Leak appeal form and policy (680.05 kB)

How do I report a leak and is it important I do so?

If you notice a leak in the street, water coming out of a meter box or any other water related problems, please contact our office so we can get someone out there as quickly as possible. PID appreciates you reporting leaks so any possible safety hazards can be repaired as quickly as possible and to prevent unnecessary loss of water.

Will a leak in the street be charged to my meter?

No, the meter will only monitor usage for water going to the home through the meter.

What do I do if I need to report a leak, and the District office is closed?

Call our number and the answering service will notify a standby person who will evaluate the leak any time of day or night and will make the determination as to when the leak should be repaired.

In what amount of time will PID respond to a leak?

As soon as possible - A person will respond to the leak and prioritize that leak with other leaks reported.

How do I keep my pipes from freezing in the winter?

Insulate. Loosely wrap your pipes and faucets with insulation, or cover with plastic bag and/or coffee can. Hardware stores have pipe wrap and covers for faucets and fittings. Devise your own with blankets, leaves, pine needles, paper, etc. You can be creative with this, anything will help.

Where is my shut-off valve located?

Most homes have a shut-off valve at the house, usually in line with your meter or at the nearest corner of house with relation to the meter. There are one or two valves located at your meter box as well.

What do I do if I can't find my shut- off valve, and have a water emergency?

Call our office any time of day or night and we will have someone come and assist you in locating your shut-off valve. Please note that a leak on the customer's property is their responsibility to repair.

What can I do if my neighbor has a leak, and is not home?

Shut their water off, if possible, and leave them a note. If you are unable to do this contact our office.


Thank you


Backflow Prevention


What is a Backflow device?

The physical connections between drinking water pipes and substances which are not meant for consumption are called cross-connections. To control these cross-connections and prevent backflow into the District's water distribution system, a backflow preventer must be installed at the point of cross-connection and be tested annually by a certified Backflow Prevention Tester who is USC and AWWA certified to perform the test, or you may choose to have one of our certified employees perform the test.

Who needs a Backflow device?

Installation of an approved backflow prevention assembly is required at the service connection to any property where there is an auxiliary supply or system. For example, anyone with an alternate source of water; such as a well, spring, stream, etc., or if you have an irrigation system, or two or more meters on your parcel. Commercial and professional buildings with fire sprinklers, lab equipment, boilers, etc. If you are in question as to whether or not you need one, please contact our office and someone will meet with you to determine this.

Who benefits from backflow inspection?

Cross-connection Control = Safer Drinking Water for Everyone - A backflow device prevents any unwanted flow of non-potable water or substance from any domestic, industrial or institutional piping system into the pure, potable water distribution system.

Why is it necessary for PID to inspect my backflow device?

The State of California Administrative Code, Title 17 and chapter 6.14 of the Policy & Procedures of the Paradise Irrigation District require us to do so. Any customer who has a device on their property are required to have certified annual inspections made to test for their tightness and reliability.

What are some of the hazards backflow devices prevent?

Contamination or pollution of a water system is usually brought about by a cross-connection to any systems containing auxiliary water supplies which may be polluted or contaminated; irrigation systems which may be polluted or contaminated with fertilizers, pesticides or other objectionable materials.

What do I do if my device has failed inspection?

The backflow device will have to be repaired and retested.


Thank you


Water Distribution

What is the Pipeline Replacement Program?

The District has a distribution system that consists of 169 miles of water pipeline. The pipes that are in the ground need replacement due to age and type of material.

Why is it necessary to replace District pipes?

Over time coatings fail, corrosion occurs and leaks occur. Over the years as the population density increases smaller pipe sizes aren't sufficient to provide flow so pipe sizes have to be increased.

What percentage of District pipes currently need replaced?

About 40%.

What causes pipe deterioration?

Mostly coating failure which leads to corrosion.

When is the pipeline project expected to be finished?

This is a long term project that will last well into the next millennium. At present the forecast is 25 years.

How does the District determine which pipes need replacement?

Replacement is based on the number of leaks experienced in a segment of pipe.

Who repairs District pipes?

The District has a dedicated three person leak crew which works on leaky mains and services fire hydrants.

Who replaces District pipes?

The District has a dedicated pipeline construction crew augmented by seasonal personnel during the summer construction season.

Thank you


Water Rights Extension

How much is the District spending on the replacement program?

Currently approximately $600,000-$700,000 a year is spent replacing pipelines.

What are the benefits to me as a PID customer?

increased fire flows improved flow to match service mains fewer maintenance costs system improved from corroding Water Rights Extension/Sphere of Influence Environmental Impact Report The Paradise Irrigation District (PID) is completing an Environmental Impact Report to evaluate the impacts of: 1) Extending the time needed to construct additional storage in Magalia or Paradise Reservoirs 2) Changing the method of diversion of water from Little Butte Creek 3) Add hydropower to the permits purpose of use 4) Increase the size of the District’s place of use 5) Increase the size of the PID’s Sphere of Influence The State Water Resources Control Board is responsible for administering water rights in California. The PID needs their approval for more time to execute the previously approved permits to construct an additional 6,000 acre-feet of storage in Magalia or Paradise Reservoir. We need this additional storage capacity to minimize the impacts of potential drought on our existing customers and for the future needs of PID customers. The additional storage is the most important purpose of the EIR, the additional requests for permit changes are necessary to improve the operational capabilities of the PID and assist our neighboring water users with water supplies when the PID’s current needs are met. Below are answers to questions about the Project:

Why does PID need additional storage?

The PID customers are currently at risk to impacts during drought periods. There have been significant droughts that have occurred during the PID’s history and if those same droughts happened today, our customers could be required to reduce their consumption by 30%-50%. Increased storage allows us to carry water forward from wet years to dry years.

Where would the additional storage be constructed?

PID has evaluated options to increase the level in Paradise Reservoir. The increase of 6,000 acre-feet at Paradise reservoir will have a significant impact on neighboring properties. The PID is looking at alternatives for increasing the dam at Magalia Reservoir, or it may be cost effective to construct a new dam between Magalia and Paradise reservoirs. These options would allow the water level to reach only PID owned land, with the exception of a small piece of US Forest Service property. We are currently looking at the option of constructing a bladder dam in the spillway of Paradise Dam to increase the reservoir height three feet and provide an additional 750 acre-feet of storage, without the need to acquire additional property.

How much does PID store now and how much do we use?

PID has the ability to store 11,500 acre-feet at Paradise Reservoir and 800 acre-feet at Magalia Reservoir. The use of our customers is very dependent on the weather, particularly on spring rainfall. In recent years our production of water has been as high as 8,500 acre-feet and last year we produced 7,241 acre-feet.

Why do you need to change the method of diversion and what does that mean?

The PID needs to add a direct diversion to their water right to cover short periods of time in the spring and fall that change our ability to take water from storage under the legal definition. Warm weather periods in the spring and fall rainfall events change the way water use is accounted for by the Water Rights Board. Like other municipalities in the state, our goal is to carry as much water into dry years as possible. We need this change to maximize our ability. This will not impact releases below Magalia Dam.

Will Little Butte Creek flows be changed as a result of the Project?

As part of the EIR an extensive review will be conducted to evaluate Little Butte Creek. Currently the PID releases one half cubic feet per second below Magalia Dam at all times. There is no plan to reduce that amount. It is our continuous release of water that keeps the creek flowing, even in dry summer months when it would not be there naturally (if our dams did not exist).

Is the PID going to build a hydropower project?

PID had an engineering analysis completed for a small ½ megawatt generator at the base of Paradise Dam. It was not financially feasible at the time, but the PID wants to be prepared to construct the hydropower if the pricing and rules change in a way that makes it a worthwhile.

What is the place of use and why is PID increasing it?

The place of use is the area that the Water Rights Board allows the PID to sell water. We need to increase our size to provide for potential future customers. Currently we are unable to sell water to Del Oro Water Company that is captured by our dams, even when the supply is plentiful and surplus to the PID. The increased size will allow us to sell water when available to Del Oro Water Company to allow them to rest their wells and save water for their customers when they need them.

What is the Sphere of Influence and why is PID increasing it?

The Sphere of Influence is a boundary required by the Butte County Local Area Formation Commission. PID is required to review the current boundary and revise it to areas they may serve in the future. Parcels would still be required to annex to PID according to our policy and build the necessary piping to serve their parcel before they would receive water service from PID. In addition, PID proposes to expand the sphere to encompass potential drought water supply locations.

What are the potential drought water supply projects?

PID is evaluating three options of drought supply to provide dry year water to supplement our reservoirs. The first is an agreement with PG&E that would provide water from the Miocene Canal. This would require pumps and pipes to bring the water to our current treatment plant. The second is wells in the valley with a pipeline up Neal Road. This option is currently being reviewed based on comments from the public. The Board may choose to not pursue this option and change the proposed Sphere of Influence. The last option would be water from Lake Oroville that would require pipes, tanks and a treatment plant or some form of agreement with Del Oro Water Company.

Thank you


Thank you.

Return to Main Page